With the right dropshipping product research tools, you can ensure your business remains competitive and profitable for a long time. This can help you minimize the risk of product failure and increase the likelihood of selling a profitable product.
These ecommerce marketing tools can help you grow your store faster.
You do not want to spend money and time on something that nobody or very few people want, do you? This is the reason why you need to do product research and evaluate the market viability of your product ideas.
A reliable dropshipping product research tool can help you make actionable decisions when it comes to product sourcing and scaling your dropshipping business.
But how can find products to dropship effectively? Let’s find out together!
How to Do Product Research for Dropshipping? (Your First Steps)
Product research for dropshipping is a fairly simple process that requires always following a plan. A set of steps and criteria will guide you from start to finish.
Once you pick and master one of the best dropshipping product research tools, you’ll spot a winning product when you see it, even from miles away.
Step 1: Choose a Dropship Product Research Tool
Considering how many product research tools there are out there, it would be pointless not to use one. It stops you from wasting time, helps you manage product information, and shows you items with the highest potential of becoming winning dropshipping products.
With this in mind, our guide on the 10 best product research tools for dropshipping will help you choose the right tool for your store.
In brief, a few of the top choices on the market are the following:
- Ecomhunt – learn how to use Ecomhunt
- Niche Scraper – learn how to use Niche Scraper
- Sell the Trend – learn how to use Sell the Trend
- Adserea – learn how to use Adserea
Step 2: Go With the WOW Factor
Next up, after you’ve chosen which dropshipping product research tool to use, you need to open a few dozen tabs of the most attractive and appealing products you spot.
So, for example, let’s say you chose to use Ecomhunt. This is what you will see when you first start using this tool. 👇
From here, all you have to do is simply open every single product that instantly catches your eye in a new tab.
Don’t think about it, don’t analyze them, don’t look at their prices, don’t do any of that!
Just look at the images, get a glimpse at its name, and immediately open it in a new tab if it seems interesting, appealing, exciting, or anything that might force a person to say, “WOW, I GOTTA BUY THIS NOW!”.
That’s all you have to do in step two.
Step 3: Research the Selling Potential for Your Top Picks
Now that you’ve selected enough products, here’s where things get a bit technical. But don’t worry, you will be given all the instructions you need to crush this final step.
So, researching how much potential a dropshipping product has (if it has any at all) is basically doing market research.
Market research is simply gathering as much information as you can about a particular type of product, service, or even niche based on how well or poorly it’s done in the past.
In other words, it involves making an educated guess on whether a product will work or not once you start selling it.
Below, you will find all it takes to learn and execute effective market research for dropshipping products.
18 Best Dropshipping Product Research Tools in 2022
Finally, as a bonus value, we’ll share five of the current most popular dropshipping product research tools on the market.
Here’s a short explanation of the main benefits and drawbacks of each:
Sell the Trend is a massive platform with a smart and powerful AI that knows which dropshipping products work and which don’t.
- It includes millions of products to choose from;
- It can help with much more than just researching dropshipping products;
- It has one of the most powerful AI systems for this sort of work.
Main Disadvantages: The platform is not available for free but there is a 7-day free trial.
- Sell The Trend SHOPS
- Product Explorer
- Store Automation
- NEXUS Product Research
- 1-Click Push to Store
- Supplier Database
- Automated Order Fulfillment
- Marketing Tools
You can try Sell The Trend for free and upgrade to get all the features for $39.97 USD/mo.
Check this video where our partner’s at Sell The Trend drop value bombs on the most effective ways to start with dropship product research:
Minea is the most sophisticated tool for finding winning products and advertisements.
First, Minea builds and offers the greatest collection of ecommerce ads for Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Tik Tok ads.
Second, it is a tool for tracking product placements made by influencers across 30+ markets on all major social media channels.
And last, Minea provides information and a detailed overview of the largest online stores.
- A huge database of winning products
- Ease in finding winning products
- Information from almost all social media platforms
- Up-to-date with the latest products
- It is affordable compared to other ad spy tools
- Only for a single user
- Not the easiest tool for dropshipping beginners
- Minea allows you to discover the best ads of the moment on any platform.
- Detailed analysis of all dropshipping store’s advertising strategies and results.
- You can spy on your competitor’s creatives, and marketing angles and learn from their mistakes.
- Stay up to date with the latest marketing campaigns of the biggest brands.
- You can explore the best strategies for influencer marketing
When you are ready to upgrade your plan, you can pick between two main packages: Starter – $49/mo and Premium – $99/mo.
🎁 USE COUPON CODE: DROPSHIPPING30 and get a 30% commission for 3 months🎁
Check the video from Minea’s Premium course hosted inside our community.
Adserea combines everything you need to build your dropshipping business. From high-quality products, ad copies, descriptions, ads, and insights to store spy features, this tool covers everything.
Despite the easy-to-use dashboard and user-friendly navigation menus, Adserea stands out with its innovative features.
Instead of you spending hundreds of dollars on separate tools, with Adserea you can simply:
- Access to thousands of high-converting products
- 2 high-converting products every day
- Use the Facebook audience search engine to prepare your campaigns
Here’s the list of all features Adserea can offer under the all-in-one package:
- Daily Winning Products
- Winning Product Analytics
- Hand-Picked Winning Products
- Live Products Spy
- Store Finder
- Store Analyzer
- Audience Builder
- Adserea BONUS features
- TikTok Spy Tool
Moving forward, with every winning product you get a large amount of precise data to fuel your product-picking decision. Here’s what Adsersa provides for every product:
- Cost price
- Sale price
- Gross Profit
- Profit margin
- Number of suppliers
- Number of vendors
- Number of stores selling the product
- Strength index
- Engagement analysis (engagement, marketing, audience insights)
- Videos from product usage (on TikTok)
- Sales Analysis
- Competition Analysis
Adserea has three pricing plans, starting at $19.95, each of which has different features available. Take a look at the pricing plans!
On top of being one of the cleanest and most effective dropshipping product research tools, Ecomhunt is also packed with tons of resources for new dropshippers to learn how to effectively find winning products.
- Ecomhunt offers incredible analytics and stats about each and every product on the platform;
- It gives you very useful info about certain Facebook ads, has a reasonable pricing plan, it features a special Winners Club where top sellers enjoy various perks.
- You can’t use the free version for too long.
- It also features a lot of restrictions unless you’re on the paid plan, which is understandable.
- Finding trending products
- Uncover benefits, angles, and targeting
- Pinpoint and deconstruct winning stores
While the free plan gives you access to only 2 detailed products per day, the paid plan costs $29/mo and you can try it by clicking here.
As the name suggests, AliShark is the ultimate dropshipping product research tool if you’re sourcing from AliExpress.
- Features an advanced filtering system that shows you what you’re looking for;
- It is constantly updated and has a massive database;
- It offers highly relevant information on all products.
Main Disadvantages: There aren’t too many resources on how to properly use this tool.
- Large and constantly updated database
- Great product details
- Excellent filtering
- Real-time data scraping
You can explore AliShark Premium for just $20/mo.
Also see: The Complete AliShark Review
DropiSpy is an excellent product research tool for both beginners and more experienced users. It’s easy to use, it’s very effective, and also has a free plan.
- The tool has an expanding database of millions of dropshipping ads to help you find winning products;
- It offers extremely helpful customer support;
- It’s one of the rare dropshipping product research tools that offer real-time data.
The premium plan isn’t the cheapest out there;
The free plan itself is great up to a certain point until you need access to more of its unique features.
- Huge product database
- Very competitive price
- A multitude of real-time data
- Best Dropshipping stores ranking
Here you can see what DropiSpy has to offer by visiting the free plan. On the other side, the paid option will cost you 29.90 USD/mo.
Niche Scraper lets you spy on other stores and their ads in addition to helping you find trending and winning dropshipping products at any given time.
- There’s no limit to how many products it can scan through AliExpress and Shopify;
- It’s extremely easy to integrate with Shopify stores; it makes video ads for you;
- Niche Scraper is ideal for complete beginners.
Main Disadvantages: The free plan is basically useless for someone who is serious about dropshipping.
- Handpicked database of 100+ products
- Real-time product scraper
- Spy on successful dropshipping stores
- Detailed product analytics
- Links to top AliExpress sellers
- Import unlimited winning products
You can use Niche Dropshipping for $49.95 USD/mo. Explore it here.
The next dropshipping product research tool on the list is called FindNiche.
It can take the guesswork out of your product research if you are planning on dropshipping on AliExpress or Shopify.
However, the only drawback of this tool is that you cannot filter by “dropshipping” like with some other tools mentioned above. Despite that, it is still popular among dropshippers.
Monthly pricing plans:
- Free – While using the free plan, you can perform only a limited number of searches per day;
- Pro – Get limited data access for $29;
- Elite – Track up to 500 products, export up to 600 products, and enjoy many other features for $59.
The idea for this product research tool started after the founders had been testing products for their own stores in massive “FB tests.”
Today, the tool offers dropshippers a few different methods to find winning products. Specifically, it gives you a list of three winning products daily that sell well online and drive real profit.
Compared to the above-mentioned dropshipping product research tools, this one offers a different kind of pricing. The current price of this tool is either $20 for one winning item a day, or $30 for three items a day. Unluckily, there is no trial period on the site.
One of the most complete options available for finding profitable products, SaleSource is an all-in-one research tool.
What do we mean when we say “an all-in-one product research tool”? By using SaleSource, you can find best-selling products, top-rated dropshipping suppliers, competitor data, and more in just one dashboard.
Furthermore, the tool is in sync with Shopify, so with SaleSource, you may create your online empire on Shopify. Also, you can use it for analyzing products to sell on AliExpress.
Monthly pricing plans:
- Standard – Get access to some essential features, including a global supplier and product database, for $29;
- Pro – Get access to more advanced features, including unlimited product analytics, for $83.
This is a comprehensive hunt tool that enables you to do in-depth research and extract the best and in-demand products.
Additionally, it helps you analyze millions of items across hundreds of Shopify stores. With Intelligynce, you can also search for products selling on AliExpress, Amazon, and other marketplaces.
- Monthly option – $39 per month;
- Annual option – $79 per year;
- Lifetime option – You can get a lifetime membership for a one-time fee of $99.
12. Jungle Scout
Whether you are a new or an already established Amazon dropshipper, you should not overlook this dropshipping product research tool.
Technically, it is an all-in-one platform for selling on Amazon. By using it, you can extract rank, sales volume, and estimated revenue.
Apart from product research, the tool comes with many other incredible features to help you increase your Amazon sales. One of its features is the comprehensive supplier database.
Monthly pricing plans:
- Basic – Validate your product ideas with the browser extension for $29;
- Suite – Find new products and effectively manage your Amazon store for $49;
- Professional – This plan is perfect for experienced online vendors who need more advanced features. And it costs $84.
Here’s our take on the best chrome extensions for product research you should have on your browser if you want to automate the process.
Thieve.co is a product research tool that only scans thousands of hand-picked products on AliExpress.
Approximately 350,000 dropshippers from around the globe use ThieveCo. Sure, you can also use it to see what is trending on AliExpress.
Plus, you no longer have to waste your time analyzing current and future trends on AliExpress because this tool will do that for you!
Monthly pricing plans:
- Free – Browse products for free.
- Dropship – This is the most popular monthly pricing plan among dropshippers and it costs only $15.
- Pro – Get access to all the basic features, plus pre-release product access and premium product content for $49.
With its tagline “Stop wasting money on bad products,” Pexda is similar to the previous product research tools on the list. But the pricing may be a little up compared to the rest.
Pexda offers 3 pricing plans to meet your needs. The standard plan starts from $14.95 per month, with a $1.95 for 14 days to test out the tool, and 3 days delay on new winning products.
The premium plan costs $24.95 per month and the ultimate plan costs $99.95 per month.
The key features that this product research tool provides include 24/7 support, access to unlimited products daily, Facebook Ad/AliExpress/Amazon/eBay reports, an auto hunt tool, etc.
As its name suggests, Dropship Spy is a product research tool for analyzing winning and promising products for dropshipping.
Thanks to its Shopify store integration, you can import your chosen products to your Shopify store.
Also, the tool provides many other features, including Store Spy, Facebook Ad Spy, Instagram influencer database & research tool, etc.
Regarding pricing, Dropship Spy offers only one plan for $30 per month with unlimited access to the hottest products and features.
16. Product Whale
ProductWhale is one of the oldest tools for solving product research problems. They are well established in terms of providing real winning products across various industries.
And of course, with all the add-ons Product Whale can offer a wide range of spy tools that you can use to make informed decisions.
With Product Whale you can:
– Find winning products for your dropshipping business on Aliexpress and other main marketplaces.
– Explore the best converting social ads, without wasting your ad budget by blindly experimenting and aiming for sales in dark.
– With their daily updated and manually curated list of trending products you will always find only bestsellers for your store.
– You always have detailed metrics on your competitors (best-selling products, country of origin, and Alexa rank)
– You can use big data (like Silicon Valley) startups to growth hack your store and revenue.
All of this is for just $16 per month. No upsells, no extra packages.
17. Trend Rocket
Created by the influential eCommerce entrepreneur Davie Fogarty (founder of The Oodie), this tool Rocks. It’s basically a product research tool for dropshipping since we are including it in this list, but it can offer way more features, that’s for sure.
Trend Rocket is a powerful DTC intelligence tool that makes it easy to find, manufacture, and sell the right (dropshipping) products.
The main Trend Rocket features:
– Finding and Creating Trending Brands
– Search Database of Suppliers and Manufacturers
– Full Analytics
– Trend Viability Report
This tool is more expensive compared to other tools listed above, but definitely, it’s worth testing it since the founder has huge credibility in the dropshipping world.
18. Exploding Topics
Exploding Topics is more than a Product Research tool – it can help you to get ahead of the trend before your competitors are even aware of it.
Key Features and Pros
- You can easily identify trending topics and dropshipping products within various categories.
- Easy-to-use interface, pure design, and only the important data displayed.
- Short of analytic capacities due to a higher focus on the keyword.
- Lack of analytics data – the tool is not dropshipping dedicated, so it’s not showing detailed product data as the other tools explained above.
- You can only get Search Volume for any keyword and topic growth rate.
What Do You Need To Consider When Using A Paid Dropshipping Product Research Tool?
In most cases, it’s not about whether you need to go the freeway or use a paid tool, what product research tool to use, or what metrics to follow, but it’s who to trust as a beginner!
Here we share a few tips and things you need to take into consideration when validating a product idea (on open channels or via paid tools):
How much does the product cost (the price you need to pay to your supplier).
A recommended price to sell the product at (what’s the average retail price of the product).
Your profit margin (meaning the money you get to put in your pocket).
How many orders the supplier of this product has shipped out (The demand and the reliability of the supplier).
Total sales that this product has accumulated for others so far (market projections and profitability of the product).
How many suppliers are selling the same product (other options to consider for sourcing the product).
How many dropshipping stores have imported the product (your real competitors).
The rating of the product is based on a few insights you will see in your chosen tool (applicable only if you use a product research tool).
Why Using Tools Can Help You Find Winning Dropshipping Products?
You may not have realized it until now, but the most successful dropshipping businesses understand how to use product research tools to make meaningful decisions, particularly when it comes to product sourcing and growing their business.
Actually, you should consider incorporating a product research tool right away since it may assist you in the following ways:
✅ Examine various marketplaces. Scanning the global marketplaces might help you generate fresh product ideas to offer in your own dropshipping store and in your regional market. The more information you can gather on a product and its performance across several marketplaces, the better. Product data is important to successful dropshipping companies because it allows them to make intelligent choices about whether or not to offer a specific product in a given location.
✅ Search several product options at once. For good reason, many dropshipping business owners devote a significant amount of effort to product sourcing. Finding outstanding items is critical if you want to operate a successful dropshipping business. However, this procedure might be time-consuming. Therefore a dropshipping product research tool may help you construct extensive lists of products that are worth researching by allowing you to scan many products at once.
✅ Analyze your competitors. Product research tools allow you to go through hundreds of products to see which ones are generally popular, available and selling. These insights can assist you to avoid wasting a large portion of your money on needless purchases. You may also see what your competitors are offering, their ratings, the number of reviews they have, and other important information.
✅ Define profits and costs clearly. Another important feature of a product research tool is the estimation of your costs and profits. Products that have high selling prices may appear attractive at first, particularly if you can generate a fair gross profit on sales. However, you must also consider your costs.
What’s more, product research tools help you save money by using one all-around tool. Not just that, these tools contain info about Facebook ads, targeting, competition, videos, and more!
Furthermore, you can import products easily since your product research tool is integrated with the eCommerce platform you use. Also, you constantly have up-to-date information about product prices, so you won’t have to check it out manually.
And guess what? These amazing tools contain information about each market’s trending products based on order rates.
Dropshipping Product Research – Main Criteria Summarized
Here are 5 things you must remember from this guide on how to do product research for dropshipping stores. These criteria will significantly increase your chances of being more successful.
- The product must be unique
- It must not be extremely saturated (it can be slightly saturated but not too much)
- It’s ideal if it isn’t available in offline stores
- It has to solve a problem or add tons of value to your customer
- The product must have interesting features that will grab the attention of ads
How Experts Are Doing Dropshipping Product Research?
In this part, we go through some of the best case studies from top Ecom Entrepreneurs on how they use innovative tactics to find winning dropshipping products. Let’s explore them one by one
How To Find Winning Dropshipping Products Fast and Easy?
Here’s our simple process that we tested and customized for dropshipping beginners. Collected experience, data, and the best tools can lead you to easy wins with your dropshipping store.
Firstly, we need to know what exactly to look for in a product:
– Problem solves (time/confidence)
– Unique (wow factor/not seen)
– Quality product (good reviews)
– Margins ($20 profit minimum after cogs)
Secondly, where to look. I’ll break this into free and paid. Free methods are:
– Fb ad library (type 50% off)
– TikTok (Tiktokmademebuyit)
– Aliexpress DS Center
For free methods, I personally like FB ad library a lot. Look for products that have multiple ads. It likely means they’re scaling.
You can use different search terms too like free shipping etc. Click on stores and check if they’re dropshipping.
Paid methods there are quite a few, but I’ll give you my favorites: Among the other dropshipping product research tools, we recommend using:
For Minea search for ads that have recently done well in the past month for the USA and bring them to the EU.
Make sure they have likes, shares, and positive comments from people like “just ordered” or “can’t wait for mine to come”
Remember you’ll still need to test. Just because a winner works for someone else, doesn’t mean it’ll work for you.
How To Do Market Research To Find What To Sell?
There are several steps that you can do in a sequence to effectively research your dropshipping product’s market.
At the end of your research, you will know ten times more about your product, what is its ideal target audience, how much you should price it, and whether or not it’s worth dropshipping it in the first place.
Step 1: Spy On Your Competition
The first step requires you to find out who your competitors are. You can do this by doing a simple google search of your product or an extremely similar product to it.
For example, if you decide to sell this pet grooming hammock. 👇
Your job now would be to search for “pet grooming hammock” on Google and see what types of results pop up. You will notice that most of the results will be from online stores, including Amazon.
Then, open a few of the top pages and start taking notes, such as:
- How much are they pricing this product?
- What are they upselling or cross-selling alongside it?
- How fast is their shipping?
- What do their dropshipping product descriptions look like?
After this, your job is going to be to try and beat as many of these criteria as possible. You can do this by finding better suppliers, negotiating better prices, building a much better online store, and so on.
Step 2: Research Your Target Audience
The next step of your dropshipping product research journey is to find out what type of audience likes to buy your product. If you get this right, you’ll be enjoying some well-deserved dropshipping profits pretty soon.
So, here’s how to do some research on your ideal type of audience for any product.
Go on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, or any other social media you can think of. Search relevant keywords and try to find out what type of people talk about stuff related to what you’re selling.
You need to find out their fears, their desires, what they love, and what they hate, as much as you can. The more information you have about these people, the more your ads and offers will convert.
How to Find Winning Dropshipping Products with Dropshipping.com
Dropshipping.com can help you find a winning dropshipping product in two ways.
Initially, your best bet is to become a member and enjoy premium tips, insights, and more benefits such as:
- Regular updates on the best dropshipping products
- Access to all the best dropshipping suppliers in countless niches
- Access to spy on the most successful online dropshipping stores
- Frequent advice from expert dropshippers
The second way is to use the free dropshipping guides and articles on everything dropshipping.
Our massive list includes hundreds of guides on everything a beginner, experienced, and advanced dropshipper will ever need. With this in mind, there’s nothing stopping you from starting today, even if you don’t have any budget whatsoever.
Join Dropshipping.com Mastermind To Find Winning Products, Suppliers & Free Courses
Now is your chance to learn, network and grow with the biggest names in the dropshipping industry – behind closed doors.
Daily dropshipping tips
Trending product ideas
Ask community & sellers
Free courses from partners
Store Swipe Ideas
Access for tools & discounts
Partial access to all directories
Interviews & Success Stories
Industry news and trends
Dropshipping Product Research – FAQ
Your questions – answered.
How do I research a dropshipping product?
You have two options: Finding products for Free or using a paid software to find your winning product. We recommend starting with your market research, to find market gaps, trending topics, and unserved niches. After, you can utilize paid tools to filter and narrow down your trending products list.
What is the best dropshipping product research tool?
If you are on a budget, we recommend using: Facebook Ads Library, TikTok Search, Amazon and AliExpress Best Sellers or simply finding data on Google Trends. If you are lloking for a paid tools, our best picks are Minea and Adserea.
What dropshipping product is most successful?
It depends on many factors, including: your niche, your marketing and sales niche, your store, seasonality, competition, price range and your desired profit margins. But there are a few things you can spot a "winner" quickly: it has a WOW factor, it's unique, it solves a problem and ideally it's not available in offline stores.
What is the best product research tool for Shopify?
To find winning products for Shopify, we recommend installing these Product Research Extensions: Ecomhunt Ali Insider Koala Inspector Sale Source Thieve Shopify Hunt
Learning how to do product research for dropshipping may sound complex at first, but it’s really not once you break it down into smaller steps just as we’ve done here.
With this in mind, read the guide carefully, take notes, and try to follow the exact steps we’ve laid out here.
Also, something to remember, regardless of how many winning products you find, they all require testing. However, the more you learn about dropshipping product research the less money you’ll have to waste on your testing phase.
Get product ideas from our Winning Products Library
Filter and find your product with Minea
Find a Supplier & fulfill orders with Zendrop
Build your dropshipping store with Shopify
Get product ideas from our Winning Products Library
We deliver hand-picked trending products for premium users only each day, to show you which have the highest dropshipping potential.
Filter and find your product with Minea
- No need to use different tools to find your winner. Minea saves you time and money with an all-in-one tool.
- Minea selects high-potential products in 2 clicks. Stop spending time scrolling through Facebook and take action with Minea.
- With a strong experience in e-commerce, Minea’s teams provide you with key statistics that will allow you to make the best decision on the choice of your product.
Find a Supplier & fulfill orders with Zendrop
With Zendrop you can:
Build your dropshipping store with Shopify
Why build your store with Shopify?
Free website designs to launch your store quickly and easily.
All in one
Shopify takes care of everything from marketing and payments to secure transactions and shipping.
A safe and efficient platform
Millions of users trust Shopify to manage their online stores.