TikTok was released in late 2016. For only a short period, it managed to gain over 800 million active users, and still rising.
Having said that, TikTok has secured a firm place as a great social media video platform for the dropshipping business.
Let’s take a look at everything that TikTok has to offer in the dropshipping business:
Can You Promote Products on TikTok?
All the youth are on TikTok, and with the main focus being on this social media platform, it has turned to become the social media platform with hundreds of millions of active users around the world. Even more than other social media platforms like Snapchat and even almost as much as Instagram.
Read more about Instagram Marketing for Dropshipping.
TikTok allows you to feature videos from 15 to 60 seconds long. It has better organic growth than most social media platforms.
The video limit makes promoting products even more interesting because of the short attention span needed from viewers.
TikTok’s self-service platforms assist in helping brands create in-feed ads. Here are the types of ads you can setup with the TikTok ad account manager:
- Hashtag challenges – These types of ads are like a challenge set up on open videos. Branded hashtag challenges are usually paid by brands and are set up as a priority by TikTok. Most users usually accept the challenge since it is a trend on TikTok. It can be a great way of exposing your brand name or product with the hashtag itself.
- Brand takeover – appears when you open the TikTok app and lasts for a few seconds before the ad changes into an in-feed ad. These ads are limited by TikTok to prevent the platform from getting too repititive.
- In-Feed Ads – The best option for small and middle-sized businesses. Cheaper than other types of ads and appear in the feed “for you”.
- Branded AR content – appear like lenses, stickers, etc. Used by brands for TikTok filmmakers most of the time.
Is TikTok Good for Dropshipping? How Do I Promote My Dropshipping Store on TikTok?
Without a doubt, TikTok marketing for dropshipping is a wonderful idea. You can consider it as an additional tactic to your social media marketing strategy.
Here are a few ways you can use TikTok to your advantage and promote your dropshipping store:
Influencer marketing is a popular type of marketing on TikTok. Anybody can become an influencer on TikTok.
Influencers can give you an upper hand in increasing your product exposure and reaching a lot of followers across the platform.
You may be asking how? It is because the platform has great organic reach, so this means influencers are the ones who take advantage of this the most.
The main reason organic traffic is so good on TikTok is because of the video duration limit TikTok has.
Because videos are only 15 to 60 seconds long, they don’t require too much of your attention. This makes users want to watch more videos.
According to research done by the green buzzy agency, shorter videos were more ideal for active users on social media compared to longer ones.
Dropshippers are given enough time to showcase their items in just under a minute. Looks like the term Elevator Pitch counts as TikTok marketing for dropshipping as well!
Most active users on TikTok won’t even know that the platform offers paid advertisements. Although, TikTok’s paid ads aren’t the best when considering dropshipping, especially when you compare it to Facebook and Instagram.
TikTok is all built on organic traffic, but paid ads can be useful when you are trying to build brand awareness at the beginning or even when working with influencers.
A huge benefit of TikTok ads is that they are much cheaper to setup compared to Facebook ads. After that, all you need is consistency and everything will fall into place.
How to Build a TikTok Profile?
TikTok is free to use but also has a pro account you can purchase. The pro account allows you to view the analytics of your posts.
It is mainly designed for business and is there to help you see if you are improving on a monthly basis or not.
Just like Instagram, when you choose a business account on TikTok, you can also include a creator account. When you have a creator account and have enough engaged followers on your profile, TikTok will even start paying you for your content!
Best Practices on TikTok for Dropshipping
Set a Diverse Audience
Most TikTok users are not only young people but over 50% of them are above 25. Whatever product you are trying to market, stop thinking that you are only marketing to the gen-z age group.
800 million users is a lot, and all of them can’t be under 25! Set an age group you want to target and apply it for that certain group.
Use TikTok Ads
We mentioned above the type of ads you can use on TikTok. You wouldn’t be surprised that most ads you see on TikTok are actually dropshipping ads.
All of them include items that you can purchase from a dropshipping store. Most users will just end up shopping after they see a product that they like.
Hire an Influencer
We spoke about influencer marketing and how effective it is to increase your brand awareness.
Always consider hiring micro-influencers since they have higher engagement rates than influencers with more followers. Micro-influencers will be able to expose your product much more than a macro-influencer.
Always try looking for influencers that are part of your niche. Influencers who are out of your niche may not agree to work with you most of the time.
Even if they do agree, they won’t know how to leverage your dropshipping business as good as an influencer who is in your niche.
How to Find TikTok Influencers
TikTok influencers are everywhere on the web. Even if you are watching videos on TikTok, the platform itself will start showing you videos of content that you are viewing the most.
While watching these videos, you might end up running into an influencer. You can contact them from TikTok and ask them about prices or where they prefer to communicate.
Keep in mind not to contact someone out of your niche.
TikTok influencers can be found on Google by using the right keywords. Try using keywords like “TikTok influencer”, “influencers on TikTok”, “TikTok creator”, and keywords that are related to your niche on TikTok.
Other than Google & TikTok, you have platforms and agencies that work together with TikTok influencers. Some good platforms for finding TikTok influencers for dropshipping are:
Agencies are really helpful in finding you an influencer if you just don’t have enough time to find one. Keep in mind though that fewer agencies are tied to TikTok than to other social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook.
You can try looking up the following agencies for finding influencers:
How to Earn on TikTok for Dropshipping In 2021
There are several ways you can earn money on TikTok through dropshipping:
- Product ads- one of the most effective ways to earn on TikTok is through ads. You might be spending some money at the beginning for these ads but they will be able to generate you revenue right after. TikTok ads are one of the main reasons you sell them because they appear on videos.
- Influencer marketing campaigns- by hiring some influencer to do the TikTok dropshipping marketing for you, you can also get paid by TikTok itself. When you reach a certain number of followers, TikTok will start to pay you a decent amount of money that will cover expenses or even earn you revenue. The more popular you get, the more money you will get. Keep in mind that TikTok pays more based on engagement rates.
- Selling accounts-many may not think this is possible in dropshipping but you are very wrong if you think that. There are plenty of dropshipping stores that sell built-up Tiktok accounts online and then sell them to another drop shipper. The more followers and likes your TikTok account has, the higher you can sell it for.
- Being a TikTok Influencer- once you reach a certain amount of followers and a certain amount of likes, TikTok may start contacting you to work together. You will start to get paid for what you do, and that is the best part about it. There is no set limit but usually accounts with 10,000 followers and 50 to 100 thousand video views a month.
We showed you how helpful TikTok for dropshipping can be for your e-commerce store. Now, it is up to you to apply these practices.
If you are struggling with creating a content marketing strategy for your dropshipping store, find more content on our dropshipping blog.
BONUS ARTICLE: 7 Best Dropshipping Forums to Join in 2021